Thursday, December 3, 2009

We are not in Narnia anymore.

When we were told that we were going to be reading Perelandra, I was so excited, mostly because I am a huge fan of The Chronicles of Narnia. It is such a huge group of stories that the world of Narnia comes alive whether you want it to or not. It is hard to not have your imagination captured by the sights and experiences of the characters within the books. This is something that as an adult I have enjoyed reading much more that I enjoyed reading as a child, something that I am still somewhat surprised by, simply because this is a book for children. It is a story for kids to use their imaginations and travel to Narnia, expertly guided by C.S. Lewis himself.

This is what I was expecting from Perelandra, and it definitely did not deliver. I realize that it was not written for the same reason as Narnia and is not the same type of story that Narnia is. I still had wrong expectations and they truly did get in the way of me enjoying this book.

It started off in an odd way and I think that also went in to making it a weird book. I mean a guy going to some other guys house only to be told that he has to help the other guy into a coffin and send him off into Outer Space with an alien that is in the house but he just cannot see it. Well, sorry Lewis, you lost me with the coffin into Outer Space.

One of the other things that really threw me off was the way of the Perelandrian lady. She was an adult, beautiful by Ransom's estimation, but so very childlike that it just was not believable.

Almost forgot. Ransom's race through the ocean on the back of turtles or whatever they were, not believable. Just saying. Could not suspend my disbelief for this book, probably to my detriment.

1 comment: