Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Start of the End

As I begin my first blog on this site, I realize I have definitely started at the end of the semester. Our final is scheduled for tomorrow, that mystery of a final and I am about to begin my first blog of the semester. Better late than never. While strolling back through my notes and flipping through G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who was Thursday, I am reminded about how much I loved this book. It was my favorite book from the semester and was glad that it was the one that we started with. It was filled with twists and turns, totally a book to keep you on the edge of your seat. While reading the book and even now I think about one of the dominant ideas in the book, the overwhelming motion of the group mentality. One man can keep a whole group of policemen into thinking that all of the others are anarchists while keeping them to fearful to speak out.

So often we are just like these policemen, we make decisions that we think are appropriate to the group of people that we are in league with. Sometimes the decisions that we make are such that all they do is keep everyone socially comfortable Sometimes these decisions are similar to those within The Man Who was Thursday, in that they keep everyone locked up in fear and lies. Let's all think about this book the next time we go to make a decision that will only keep us and those around us from seeing what's really going on. I don't want to be a policeman anarchist.

No comments:

Post a Comment